Easy fish pie. A simple fish pie recipe that's quick and easy to prepare. Portion into ramekins and freeze for quick toddler meals or cook in a big dish for the perfect family supper. Fish pie doesn't get much easier than this Easy Fish Pie.
This is a paid for Ad. This quick and delicious fish pie is full of flavour and lighter than traditional recipes. The usual white sauce is replaced with a. You can cook Easy fish pie using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Easy fish pie
- Prepare 340 g of fish pie mix (we used Tesco which has cod, salmon and smoked haddock chunks).
- Prepare 1 of large carrot.
- You need 1 cup of frozen peas.
- Prepare 1 of large leek.
- It’s 5-6 of large white potatoes (could do more if you like more mash on top or half and half white and sweet potatoes).
- You need 1 tablespoon of butter.
- You need 125 g of cheese (grated) – stronger cheddar is nice but I kept it milder for the kiddies.
- You need 4 tbsp of plain flour (we used cornflour as trying to keep gluten free – you'll probaby need a little less of this).
- You need 50 g of butter.
- It’s 500 ml of milk – semi or whole milk is best or try coconut or oat milk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of mustard (optional).
- You need of salt and pepper.
Easy Fish Pie. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Fish pie is a real homecoming meal. Fish pie is a real homecoming meal. James Martin's easy recipe is simple and satisfying, with salmon, hard-boiled eggs and a dash of cream.
Easy fish pie instructions
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks. Place in a pan of boiling, slightly salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx. 10 minute until they are cooked through. Drain thoroughly and add the butter and a dash of milk. Mash well and put aside..
- Peel the carrot and grate into an medium overproof dish. Grate or thinkly slice the leeks and add to the dish..
- Add the frozen peas and the fish and mix well..
- Make the cheese sauce by melting 50g butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cornflour and stir thoroughly until it starts to form a paste (roux). Add a little of the milk and stir to incorporate the roux and the liquid. You will need to keep doing this until all the milk is added, making sure there are no lumps in the sauce. A whisk may help you do this..
- Bring the sauce almost to a boil- it should thicken as it does so. Stir it at all times otherwise it will catch the bottom of the pan..
- Take the pan off the heat once it is thickened and add the grated cheese. Stir until it is fully melted and mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste (a tsp of mustard is also nice to add here if you like.).
- Mix the cheese sauce with the veg and fish in the dish.
- Top with the mashed potato and fluff up with a fork.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180˚c for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with some lovely fresh green veg – broccoli and runner beans are the faves in our house!!.
Try these fish pie recipes today – we have an easy fish pie for the family, a light and healthy fish pie, an indulgently creamy fish pie and more. Create a delicious fish pie sauce, try a different fish pie. How to make a fish pie for the whole family from scratch with minimal fuss. This fish pie is perfect food for kids, can be frozen for a later date and can be adapted to dietary. This British fish pie recipe is easy to make and can be economical to cook.