Baked ziti. Fill Your Cart With Color Today! Try RICOTTA CHEESE instead of sour cream and skip the provolone for a real Italian version of Baked Ziti. Mix an egg into a pound of ricotta to make it nice and creamy, and toss with the ziti.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan set over high heat. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. This baked ziti is layered almost like a lasagna to ensure every bite has enough creamy ricotta, stringy mozzarella and tangy tomato sauce But the key to its success comes from undercooking the pasta during the initial boil so it stays perfectly al dente, even after a trip to the oven Heavy cream is added to prevent the ricotta from becoming grainy or dry during baking, letting it be its most. You can cook Baked ziti using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked ziti
- Prepare 1 box of ziti.
- You need 1 lb of soft mozzarella cheese (unshreaded).
- You need 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 Oz).
- Prepare 5 small of mushrooms (optional).
- You need 2 cup of shredded cheeses( mozzarella or Parmesan).
- It’s 3 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 cup of marinara sauce.
- It’s 1 lb of ground meat (cooked).
- Prepare 1/2 medium of onion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of oregano.
- Prepare 1 tsp of basil.
- It’s 8 oz of ricotta.
How to Make Baked Ziti This recipe is a pretty basic version, but everyone who makes baked ziti has their own unique tricks and twists to it. Some vary the cheeses, some the meat, some make meatless versions, and some people leave out the tomato sauce for a truly cheese-tastic casserole. The cheesy, comforting recipe got its name from Brenda's son, who often requests his great grandma's baked ziti for special meals. But in Great Grandma's day, the ziti served a different purpose.
Baked ziti step by step
- preheat oven to 350.
- cook ground meat.
- cook ziti until tender.
- chop and combine onion, mushrooms, ground meat, crushed tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings and let simmer in a small pan..
- slice mozzarella into about 16 even pieces.
- I n a 9 x 13 baking stone or dish scoop out 1/3 of simmering sauce until the bottom of the dish is lightly covered. Then apply a layer of ziti, on top of that layer the 16 slices of mozzarella. The next layer is 1/3 of marinara combination, then spread the ricotta cheese over the sauce using a rubber spatula. The final layer is ziti, the rest of the sauce combination, and then the extra plain sauce on top of that. Then you top it off with the shredded cheese..
- Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 35 min. Remove foil and cook for another 15 min..
Baked ziti can become dry for several reasons. When assembling the dish, be sure to cover the pasta with enough of the sauce so that the noodles don't dry out. Also, to prevent moisture from evaporating while cooking, cover the dish tightly with foil. Baked Ziti is a classic baked pasta dish. It's basically some kind of tomato or meat sauce baked in a dish with some kind of cheese and, of course, ziti noodles—unless you're me, then you use mostaciolli noodles.