Cacio e pepe Spaghetti Squash with chive pesto. Cacio e pepe is my sick food. As a child, this is what my momma would make me whenever I was feeling under the weather: a bowl of buttered noodles covered in a dusting of grated parmesan and a little pepper. This spaghetti squash recipe is just a vehicle for butter and cheese.
Cacio e Pepe Spaghetti Squash – A delicious, healthier twist on the classic 'cheese and pepper' pasta dish! Cacio e Pepe (which means "cheese and pepper" in Italian) is a simple, classic Roman pasta dish typically made with spaghetti, Pecorino Romano cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Acorn Squash with Parmesan Coating. pesto alla genovese. You can have Cacio e pepe Spaghetti Squash with chive pesto using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cacio e pepe Spaghetti Squash with chive pesto
- Prepare 1 of medium spaghetti squash.
- You need 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/3-1/2 c of chives, washed and chopped roughly.
- Prepare 1/2-1 tbsp of chopped garlic, divided.
- Prepare 1/4-1/2 tsp of sea salt, divided.
- You need 1/4-1 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper.
- It’s 3 of raw brazil nuts.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1/2-1 tsp of olive oil.
- You need 1/4-1/3 c of grated parmesan cheese, divided.
Cacio e Pepe alla Roma Sparita. Place spaghetti in a large skillet and cover with water. Season with a small pinch of salt, then bring to a boil over high heat, prodding spaghetti occasionally with a fork or wooden spoon to prevent it from. For centuries, this famous cheesy pasta dish has been a staple in Roman cuisine.
Cacio e pepe Spaghetti Squash with chive pesto step by step
- Bake spaghetti squash at 400° F for 50- 60 minutes until well cooked..
- Melt butter in a pan. Add 1 heaping spoonful of chopped garlic or 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped to butter and heat gently until garlic is golden brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you like a traditional cacio e pepe with a lot of pepper flavor, use a full tsp..
- Chop chives to macerate and smash brazil nuts with a heavy knife handle until well crushed. Squeeze lemon juice on chives, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and add a 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic to chives. Mix and crush together with brazil nuts with a fork to make a quick pesto. Let flavors meld while preparing the rest of dish..
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Use a fork to separate squash strands and place in a bowl. Add garlic butter and most of parmesan. Reserve 2-3 tbsp to top dish. Mix well..
- Plate, top with chive pesto and remaining parmesan cheese. You may return squash to squash shells, broil in oven then top with chive pesto and cheese then serve if desired..
It is traditionally made with thick spaghetti (traditionally bucatini), Pecorino cheese (or you could sub in Parmesan). When making cacio e pepe, less is more. Cacio e pepe an elemental Roman pasta dish, which takes its spiciness from cracked black pepper toasted in oil. Shred squash and add the "spaghetti" to bowl with liquid. Toss squash with reserved liquid and dress with extra-virgin olive oil, lots of cheese, salt to taste, and lots of black pepper.