Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork. Now it's time to prepare the oil for frying. I like to use a small, deep pot because it requires less oil and its depth helps contain the oil, avoiding These tasty little fried meat sandwiches made with lotus root stuffed with pork are deliciously savory, crispy, and crunchy. Stuffed Lotus Root is great for a bento side dish and also served as a snack with alcohol.
Cut green onions, shiitake mushrooms, and lotus root. Add the meat, green onion, shiitake mushroom in the Seasoning bowl. Mix well with hands until the mixture gets sticky and set aside. You can have Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork using 18 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork
- It’s 1/4 stalk of Green onion (NEGI) or onion.
- You need 1/2-1 tsp of Fresh ginger, grated.
- Prepare 350 g of Lotus root (2 whole roots).
- Prepare 200 g of Ground pork.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Flour.
- Prepare of <Tempura batter>.
- You need 3/4 cup of Flour (cake or pastry flour if you have it).
- You need 1/4 cup of Potato starch (Katakuriko).
- You need 1/2 tsp of Baking powder.
- Prepare 120 ml of Sparkling water or water.
- It’s of <Dipping sauce>.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of Grated ginger (optional).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Rice vinegar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s to taste of Karashi mustard.
Lotus root can be used with meat to make delicious and easy to prepare balls/meat balls! A comfort food appreciated everywhere and a great snack if you like beer! Super easy pan-fried stuffed lotus roots with minced pork filling and a spicy dip. Lotus root(莲藕) is a popular root ingredient in China.
Lotus Root Tempura Stuffed with Pork step by step
- Lotus roots! I used two small 🙂 You can easily peel the out skin with a regular peeler..
- Peel and slice lotus into thin slices (about 3mm or so)..
- Grate ginger and mince onions..
- Soak lotus in water for 5-10 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towel..
- Meanwhile, mix ground pork with onion, ginger, salt and flour. Then sandwich a spoonful of the meat between two slices of lotus root..
- Repeat until all lotus "sandwiches" are done..
- Mix flour, potato starch, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl..
- Heat frying oil over medium to until hot enough to fry, about 170C/325F if you have a thermometer.
- When ready to fry, mix sparkling water (or just cold water) into flour until you get a consistency of heavy cream (it was about 120 ml for me)..
- Dip each lotus sandwich into the batter. Let excess batter run off before frying..
- Fry until batter is crisp and meat is cooked – a couple minutes each. Cut one in half to check the meat if you're worried..
- The tempura batter should turn out light and a bit poofy!.
- Mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and ginger (if using) for dipping sauce. Slice each lotus sandwich in half and serve with dipping sauce and karashi mustard. Yum!.
It is actually the steam of the plant with a crunchy texture. This lotus root chips recipe tells you how to make fried lotus root with just peanut oil and salt. An easy appetizer and a certain conversation starter. These tasty little fried meat sandwiches made with lotus root stuffed with pork are deliciously savory, crispy, and crunchy. Lotus root (_renkon_ in Japanese) is actually the rhizome of the lotus plant.