Sicilian-style penne caponata. Learn how to make Sicilian-Style Caponata. In this Sicilian caponata recipe, eggplant is cooked with celery, tomatoes, olives, and capers for a delicious hot relish or cold appetizer. This caponata sauce stars eggplant, olives, capers, and sherry vinegar, creating a magical marriage of sweet and sour flavors that's perfect over fresh pasta.
Like many other Sicilian recipes, Caponata recipe is strongly influenced by the cuisines of the countries had been dominated the island over the centuries. This caponata is a vibrant mixture of fresh vegetables, including eggplant, onion, celery and tomatoes. My parents are Sicilian and we love caponata. You can have Sicilian-style penne caponata using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sicilian-style penne caponata
- Prepare 1 of Aubergine.
- You need 1 of Red onion.
- It’s 1 of Red pepper.
- It’s 225 g of Sausage meat.
- It’s 15 g of Apple cider vinegar.
- Prepare 200 g of Penne pasta.
- Prepare 30 g of Black olives.
- It’s 40 g of Hard Italian cheese (grated).
- It’s 1 of Chicken oxo cube.
- Prepare 100 ml of water.
- You need Pinch of sugar.
I added raisins to the recipe. It works well with the sour/sweet taste of the dish. Caponata is one of the quintessential dishes of Sicily, and so you'd think there would be a definitive version. The thing about Italians, food and tradition is that everyone has their own twist even on the classics, whether its a family adaptation or a regional spin.
Sicilian-style penne caponata step by step
- Doing the prep! Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Chop the aubergine into cubes. Dice the red onion. Slice the red peppers thinly. Put a pan of water on to boil and dont forget to add some salt..
- Put the pepper and aubergine on a baking tray with oil and seasoning and place in oven until soft with a little crispy around edges (15-20mins). Turning veg half way through cooking..
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add the sausage meat. Once browned add the onion and keep cooking till onion is softened then add vinegar and cook till almost evaporated..
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the chicken oxo cube and 100ml of water. Season and also add a pinch of sugar. Stir together and then let simmer and thicken. (Stir every few mins).
- Mean while add penne to your boiling water. When cooked (12ish mins) drain in colander and return it to pan and add a little oil to prevent them sticking.
- Once aubergine and pepper are ready add to the tomato sauce along with the olives(cut in half or not up to you) and stir together. Add pasta to the caponata and stir and then serve up and add cheese on top.
A classic Sicilian-style pasta and veggies dish that's lovely served either warm, or at room temperature. Enjoy with a glass of wine and a good Italian bread for mopping up the delicious You didnt write what to do with the tomatoe, capers, and olives & Parsley so I just topped the penne with it. Caponata is truly the delicious Sicilian appetizer made with eggplant and other vegetables. Nonna Sara's recipe is easy and quick for an Sicilian Caponata Recipe – Italian Eggplant Appetizer. This version is all vegetables and the flavors are bursting with each bite.