Roasted Acorn Squash with Sausage, Farro, Spinach, and Feta.
You can cook Roasted Acorn Squash with Sausage, Farro, Spinach, and Feta using 11 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Roasted Acorn Squash with Sausage, Farro, Spinach, and Feta
- Prepare 2 of small acorn squash.
- You need 2-4 Tbsp. of light olive oil.
- It’s 2 Tbsp. of butter, divided into 4.
- You need 1/2 cup of farro or wheat berries.
- It’s 2 cups of water.
- It’s 1 of large shallot, chopped finely.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 of fennel bulb, chopped.
- You need 1 cup of pork sausage without casing.
- It’s 2 cups of spinach, chopped.
- It’s 2 oz of feta, crumbled.
Roasted Acorn Squash with Sausage, Farro, Spinach, and Feta step by step
- Preheat the oven to 400°F..
- Cut acorn squash in half from bottom to top. Scoop out all of the seeds with a spoon. Brush olive oil all inside..
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of butter in bottom of each squash. Season with salt and pepper..
- Place squash on a baking sheet with parchment paper in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes. The squash is fork-tender when done..
- While the squash is roasting, cook the farro..
- In a medium saucepan, boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt. Rinse and place the farro in the boiling water, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. At about 30 minutes, check for doneness. They should be chewy but not tough. If not quite done, continue cooking and checking every 5 minutes. You may need to cook them up to 25 minutes longer depending on the variety you get..
- In a medium sauce pan, brown the pork sausage, drain the fat, and set aside..
- In a large sauté pan on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté garlic, shallots, and fennel for 8 minutes..
- Add the sausage to the pan and mix in for a few more minutes..
- Add the farro and combine for a few minutes..
- Sprinkle 3/4 of the feta into the mixture until melted. (reserve 1/4 of the crumbles to sprinkle on top).
- Add spinach and let it wilt into the mixture..
- Taste and season with salt and pepper..
- When the acorn squash comes out of the oven, let them rest for 4 minutes and then spoon the mixture into the squash..
- Sprinkle the rest of the feta on top and serve!.