Arabic style chicken with sumac, onions and walnuts. Naan or Arabic taboon bread, to serve. Add the red onions and toss everything together well. Finish with a smattering of pine nuts, sumac and chopped parsley.
Naan or Arabic taboon bread, for serving. Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving. Rub the mixture into the meat. You can have Arabic style chicken with sumac, onions and walnuts using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Arabic style chicken with sumac, onions and walnuts
- It’s 4 of whole chicken legs , skinless.
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 of pita bread.
- Prepare 200 gm of yellow onions ,finely sliced.
- You need 1& 1/2 cup of coriander leaves ,chopped.
- You need 100 gm of walnuts.
- Prepare 1 & 1/2 tbsp of sumac.
- You need as needed of butter for greasing the baking pan.
- You need of Ingredients for marinade:.
- Prepare 10 cloves of garlic , grated.
- It’s 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- You need 2 tsp of sumac.
- You need 1/2 tsp of all spice.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 of lemon juice.
- It’s to taste of salt.
Add the red onion and toss to coat. Cover and transfer to the Arrange the chicken and red onion on top. Finish with a smattering of pine nuts, sumac and chopped parsley. Sumac is one of the main players in Musakhan, it is a spice that comes from the berries of the Rhus shrubs.
Arabic style chicken with sumac, onions and walnuts step by step
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the marinade ingredients for one hour or overnight..
- Grease an ovenproof dish with butter..
- Tear the pita breads into pieces and line the dish; keep balance pieces aside..
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place on the pita bread..
- To the remaining marinade add 1/4 cup olive oil,sliced onions,coriander leaves, sumac,walnuts and salt to taste. Toss together and layer it on the chicken legs..
- Cover with the remaining pita pieces and bake in a preheated oven @ 180 degree centigrade for 40 minutes..
- If the bread gets too much colour, cover the dish with aluminium foil..
- Remove and serve warm..
- Crush the crisp pita pieces and garnish on the chicken for added texture..
Brush the bread with some of the olive oil you strained from cooking the onions and top it with onions and chicken. Proud to be a HIPA winner. Essentially it is chicken, onions, sumac, bread, and olive oil. The trick is to get the perfect balance of well done chicken, soft bread with just enough crunch to it, onions that are translucent but not mushy, and sumac with olive oil that provides flavor without being grainy or greasy! This Middle-Eastern recipe for chicken with onions and sumac was adapted from a classic cookbook from the region.