Shepherd's Pie. .with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton.
That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, that creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust.… While Shepherd's Pie is. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 1 of 2-4 Pounds- ground beef (I normally use 2 lbs).
- You need 2 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- You need 1 can of Sweet whole kernel corn.
- Prepare 1 of Shredded colby-jack cheese (or use the type of cheese you desire).
- It’s 8 medium of potatoes.
- It’s 1 of Milk.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper.
This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. Plunge your spoon into a shepherd's pie with creamy mash and flavourful lamb mince.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 375°F and get out a 13×9 baking dish..
- Start a pot on the stove for your potatoes. Fill it about 3/4 full with some hot water to speed up the boiling process. (You can use instant potatoes if you prefer.).
- Next, get a skillet or frying pan going with the beef in it. While waiting for the ground beef to brown, cube your potatoes and dump them into the pot when it's boiling..
- Empty your cream of mushroom into a bowl and add enough milk in to make it a nice somewhat thin creamy mixture. (Don't make it so thin that it's like water.) Pour that evenly over the beef..
- Evenly pour the corn over the soup mixture..
- Sprinkle however much cheese you want..
- Lastly, when you're done preparing them add the mashed potatoes. *To make it easier, what I do is plop all the potatoes in the middle. Then use a rubber spatula to start in the middle and without lifting ur spatula, drag the potatoes to the edge of the dish. When you get to the edge, clean your spatula using the dish's edge and that way it also seals the top at the same time 🙂 (If you start lifting your spatula before you get to the edge of the dish, you'll lift your cheese up and it'll make a mess.).
- Set the timer for 20-25 minutes. Everything is already cooked so all you're doing is heating everything up..
We've got traditional recipes, plus spiced and vegetarian alternatives. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Add some grated hidden veggies to help the kids eat healthily. This Shepherd's Pie is a great dish to make ahead of time and store in the freezer for a future meal. Ground beef and veggies are cooked in a simple sauce, then topped with crispy browned cheddar.