Chorizo Mac n Cheese.
You can have Chorizo Mac n Cheese using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chorizo Mac n Cheese
- It’s 3.25 Cups of milk or water.
- Prepare 1 pound of pasta of choice (I use a mixture of Penne and Rotini).
- You need 5 tablespoons (75 g) of unsalted butter, divided.
- You need 4 teaspoons (20 g) of sodium citrate.
- Prepare 1 1/4 pounds (567 g) of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 4 ounces of grated Gouda cheese.
- You need 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) of mustard powder.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 pound (225 g) of grated Gruyère cheese.
- It’s 4-5 of fresh Chorizo sausage links.
- It’s 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/2 Cup of grated Parmigiana Reggiano.
Chorizo Mac n Cheese step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook elbow macaroni until just shy of al dente, about 2 minutes less than cooking time indicated on package. Drain, then transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons (30g) butter until butter is melted and pasta is evenly coated. Set aside..
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups (720ml) water or milk to a simmer. Whisk in sodium citrate until fully dissolved. While maintaining a gentle simmer, add Cheddar and Gouda cheeses in small increments, using an immersion blender to incorporate it completely into the sauce before the next addition. When all the cheese is added and the sauce is smooth and glossy, blend in hot sauce, mustard powder, and garlic powder. Season with salt, if necessary..
- Cook Chorizo sausage links on grill, broiler or pan, until skin is crispy. Slice cooked sausage into small slivers and add to cheese sauce, mixing in evenly..
- Scrape cheese sauce into pasta and mix until evenly coated. Let cool slightly, then add grated Gruyère and mix well. Scrape pasta into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and smooth surface into an even layer..
- Add panko to a small mixing bowl. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter, then add to panko and mix until evenly coated. Add grated Parmesan to Panko and mix evenly. Season with salt, if so desired). Scatter panko mixture all over surface of mac and cheese in an even layer. Bake on top rack of oven until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes (ovens can vary; check often to prevent top from burning)..
- Let mac and cheese rest 15 minutes, then serve. Leftover mac and cheese can be refrigerated for up to 5 days; it reheats surprisingly well in the microwave or oven..