Eggplant & potato bake. Eggplant (US, Australia, New Zealand, anglophone Canada), aubergine (UK, Ireland, Quebec) or brinjal (South Asia, South Africa) is a plant species in the nightshade family Solanaceae. Solanum melongena is grown worldwide for its edible fruit. The eggplant, or aubergine, provides fiber and a range of nutrients.
Eggplant is the common name for a perennial plant, Solanum melongena, of the potato or nightshade family Solanaceae, characterized by large leaves, white to purple flowers with a five-lobed corolla and yellow stamens, and an ovoid fruit with numerous, small seeds. Eggplants—also known as aubergine or brinjal—are warm-weather vegetables that are harvested in mid- to late summer. Eggplant tastes best when harvested young. You can have Eggplant & potato bake using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Eggplant & potato bake
- It’s 1 of large eggplant, sliced 1/4" thick.
- You need 3 of large potatos of choice, thinly sliced (I've used red).
- Prepare 1 of medium bell pepper of choice, diced (I've used yellow).
- Prepare 1 of small onion of choice, diced (I've used yellow).
- Prepare 1 pound of ground meat of choice (I've used extra-lean turkey).
- It’s 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of tomato paste (I've used Hunt's brand).
- You need 1 tablespoon of concentrate beef broth (I've used Bovril brand).
- It’s 2 tablespoon of fresh basil, coarsly chopped.
- It’s to taste of Fresh ground black pepper,.
- It’s of Water.
- You need 1 block of feta cheese, crumbled.
See more about growing and harvesting these lovely deep purple vegetables—one of our favorites on the grill! What is Eggplant Eggplant is a small, round, purple member of the nightshade family. The small, mostly white varieties that were initially cultivated resembled a hen's or goose's egg, which. The eggplant, aubergine, melongene, brinjal or guinea squash (Solanum melongena) is a plant of the family Solanaceae (also known as the nightshades) and genus Solanum.
Eggplant & potato bake step by step
- In a large sauce pan, heat up the oil at medium-high heat, add in the bell pepper and the onion and cook for a minute or two..
- Add in the meat and fully cook..
- Lower the heat, add fresh ground black pepper, fresh basil, tomato paste and concentrate beef broth and mix well. Add a little bit of water to make it saucier and put aside..
- In a oven proof glass dish, layer half of the potato slices at the bottom, top with half of the eggplant slices and cover with half of the meat mix. Repeat once..
- Top the dish with the crumbled feta cheese, cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 375° for 45 minutes..
- Uncover and cook for another 15 mimutes..
- Serve with a green salad or veggies..
Learn everything you need to know about selecting, storing, and preparing eggplant so that you feel confident enough to use this yummy veggie in your. Eggplants are fruits that like to pretend they're vegetables (and we'll play along and call them a vegetable for this Ingredient of the Week). They're thought to go all the way back to prehistory in India. It made its way around Asia, then travelled to Europe and North Africa via the Mediterranean Sea. egg + plant, originally applied only to the white-colored variety. eggplant (countable and uncountable, plural eggplants) (Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand). (Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand) The plant Solanum melongena. At Eggplant we help businesses to test, monitor and analyze their end-to-end customer experience and continuously improve their business outcomes.