Portuguese Cod. A delicious way to prepare salt cod, this Portuguese cod and potato bake is easy to make and a brilliant example of rustic, home cooked fare. Traditional bacalhoada or bacalao, a Portuguese salt cod stew made with salt cod, potatoes, onions, hard boiled eggs, olives, and lots of olive oil. Sprinkle the cod with salt, pepper and garlic powder then set aside.
The simplicity of the dish, the multiple variations and cooking preparation styles and the rich flavors made it land on our personal list. Codfish in Portugal: discover the historical reasons that help to explain why cod is central to Portuguese traditional food. These Portuguese salt cod fritters, called pastéis de bacalhau, are made with salt cod, potato, onion, and garlic and are fried for a traditional Portuguese treat. You can cook Portuguese Cod using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Portuguese Cod
- It’s 6 pieces of cod, frozen thawed.
- Prepare 1 (28 oz) of can whole tomatoes Italian.
- Prepare 1 (16 oz) of can diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 cup of pitted Kalamata olives.
- Prepare 4 of crushed garlic cloves.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of capers.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
- You need 2 tablespoons of Italian dried herbs.
How to cook portuguese cod carpaccio Chop lettuce not too big. Wash cod fillet and dry with table napkins. This Portuguese cod stew (caldeirada de bacalhau) recipe is very easy and quick to make and it's delicious. Portuguese codfish balls are often a favorite Portuguese family recipe.
Portuguese Cod instructions
- Thaw cod and place in 8×12 baking dish. Heat oven to 400F.
- In large sauté pan add olive oil and garlic and warm over low heat.
- Put tomatoes in pan and hand crush 28oz can of whole tomatoes. Add capers and olives (diced). Cool on medium heat for 10-20mins till flavors combine and taste is slightly salty..
- Pour sauce over fish and bake uncovered for 20 mins..
- Enjoy with ciabatta bread rubbed with garlic and toasted in oven..
Easy, delicious and healthy Portuguese Cod Fish Casserole recipe from SparkRecipes. I make this Mediterranean cod stew using salt cod that is rehydrated overnight, then cooked in milk. It's always a success and enjoyed by all who try it. How to make COD with portuguese cornbread: Wash the potatoes with the peel and place them on a baking dish. How to say cod in Portuguese.