Turkey-Barley Soup. Turkey soup made with chopped leftover turkey, onions, garlic, barley, herbs, turmeric, cumin, and ginger. I always make this soup after the holidays when I have a nice, meaty turkey carcass for making stock. This turkey barley soup freezes great and is best reheated in a covered saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through.
To shorten cooking time, substitute quick-cooking barley for pearl barley. This Turkey Barley Soup brings big flavors — carrots, celery and fresh thyme — with lean turkey and barley to fill you up. This turkey and barley soup is the perfect solution for that leftover holiday turkey. You can have Turkey-Barley Soup using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Turkey-Barley Soup
- You need 19 oz of ground turkey.
- You need 2 cup of carrot, thinly sliced.
- You need 1 cup of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 cup of celery, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of green pepper, chopped.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 42 oz of beef broth (3 14 oz cans).
- Prepare 28 oz of diced tomatoes.
- You need 8 oz of tomato sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of quick-cook barley.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of worchestershire sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
The easy-prep soup cooks in the crock pot or on the stovetop. This turkey barley soup is a tradition in my family. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas my mom would make stock with the turkey carcass and then use the stock to make this soup. This hearty and savory soup is fiber-full and flavorful.
Turkey-Barley Soup instructions
- Cook turkey and veggies over medium heat until browned. Drain..
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil..
- Reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes until barley is tender..
Barley adds a delightfully chewy texture while the mushrooms give this turkey barley soup a velvety. Turkey Barley Soup is a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving Turkey, and this is warm and comforting. This Simple Slowcooker Ground Turkey, Vegetable and Barley Soup is so simple to put together too. I originally found this recipe in slowcooker book of mine but modified several of the ingredients to make. This soup is made from turkey carcass, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, tomatoes, barley, parsley and thyme.