Greek Stuffed Tomatoes.
You can have Greek Stuffed Tomatoes using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Stuffed Tomatoes
- It’s 6 of Large vine/beef tomatoes.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 6 of Jumbo red spring onions finely chopped.
- You need 150 g of Microwave wholegrain rice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato puree.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Parsley.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Oregano.
- It’s of Zest 1 lemon.
- You need 150 g of feta cheese.
Greek Stuffed Tomatoes instructions
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Cut the tops off the tomatoes and, using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the soft pulp and seeds and transfer to a bowl. Put the tomato shells into a baking dish or roasting tin that's large enough to hold all of the tomatoes sitting upright. (Bun tins work well too!) Set aside with the tops of the tomatoes until ready to bake..
- Put the rice in the microwave and cook for half the suggested time to get part cooked rice..
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan set over a low heat. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until softened, without allowing it to brown. Roughly chop any larger pieces of reserved tomato pulp, then add to the pan with the part cooked rice, tomato purée and 100ml just-boiled water. Season well with salt and pepper..
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to cook for 12 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in parsley, oregano and lemon zest..
- Crumble feta into rice mixture and stir until evenly mixed through..
- Fill the prepared tomato shells with the rice mixture and return the tops..
- Drizzle with the remaining oil, cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature.