Beer Cheese Soup.
You can have Beer Cheese Soup using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beer Cheese Soup
- It’s 1/2 lb of Bacon, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Celery, finely diced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Onion, finely diced.
- You need 3 clove of Garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Thyme.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Cayenne pepper.
- You need 12 oz of Beer, lager or pilsner works well.
- You need 2 cup of Chicken broth.
- You need 1 cup of Heavy cream, or half n half.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Flour, more or less.
- You need 5 oz of Sharp cheddar cheese.
- You need 5 oz of Medium cheddar cheese.
- It’s 2 oz of Smoked cheddar cheese.
- It’s 1 of as needed Salt & pepper.
Beer Cheese Soup instructions
- Brown the bacon in a large saucepan or skillet. Remove from pan and let drain on paper toweling..
- Add the onion, celery, garlic & spices to the bacon drippings. Cook and stir until veggies are completely softened.
- Add the flour into the pan and whisk in. Add just enough flour to create a thick roux but not dry. Let the roux cook for a minute or 2..
- Add the beer. Whisk and cook until thickened and foam subsides..
- Add the chicken broth and cream. Again whisk an bring to a soft boil..
- Meanwhile shred all the cheese. ***do use block cheese and shred yourself. Pre-shredded cheese has an additive to keep it separate and it will not melt as well..
- Add the cheese in a handful at a time. Whisk and cook, adding remaining cheese until completely incorporated..
- Bring the soup up to a simmer. Blend with an emersion blender if desired..
- Top with bacon crumbles. Other topping options: chives, croutons, popcorn..