Monk’s Vegan Soup ‘Kenchin-jiru’.
You can cook Monk’s Vegan Soup ‘Kenchin-jiru’ using 16 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Monk’s Vegan Soup ‘Kenchin-jiru’
- It’s of Sesame Oil.
- Prepare of Carrot.
- It’s of Daikon (White Radish).
- You need of Satoimo (small Taros) *OR 1 large Potato.
- It’s of Gobo (Burdock Root) *optional.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare of Ground Chilli OR finely ground White Pepper *optional.
- You need of Tofu *medium firm type such as ‘Momen’.
- Prepare of Abura-age (Fried Thin Tofu).
- You need of & 1/2 cups Water.
- You need of Spring Onion *finely shopped.
- Prepare of Kombu (Kelp).
- Prepare of <Stock>.
- You need of Dried Shiitake.
- Prepare of *Note: You can use 1 heaped teaspoon Dashi Powder instead.
Monk’s Vegan Soup ‘Kenchin-jiru’ step by step
- Prepare the stock first. Place cold Water in a bowl, add cleaned Kombu (Kelp) and Dried Shiitake, and soak for at least 1-2 hours. Softened Shiitake can be cut into small pieces and added to the soup later..
- *Note: Do not add the softened Kombu to the soup. Kombu will get slimy and unpleasant flavour will come out. Use it for something else..
- Cut all Vegetables and Tofu into small pieces that are easy to eat. Finely cut Spring Onion for topping..
- Heat Sesame Oil in a large saucepan or pot, stir-fry Vegetables for a few minutes. Add 1 pinch Salt to season..
- Add 3 cups Kombu (Kelp) and Shiitake stock. (*Avoid the dirt and settlings.) Bring to the simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with Soy Sauce and cook until all vegetables are soft..
- *Note: I add 1 pinch Ground Chilli OR White Pepper for a hint of spiciness. This is totally untraditional, but I like it..
- When Vegetables are soft, add Abura-age (Fried Thin Tofu) and Tofu, and bring back to the boil. Then it’s done!.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and enjoy..