Egusi soup. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup. In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups. Egusi Soup Recipe-This is an updated version of my Egusi Soup.
Egusi Soup is a finger-licking good Nigerian soup made with a white variety of pumpkin seeds. It is spicy, nutty with exotic African flavors! See the video below on how to make Egusi Soup. You can cook Egusi soup using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Egusi soup
- It’s 2 cups of ground egusi.
- Prepare 3 of large shombo balls.
- It’s 4 of tatashe balls.
- It’s 2 of balls of hot pepper.
- It’s 1 cup of Palm oil.
- Prepare of Beef.
- It’s 1 of stockfish head.
- You need 2 of round dry fish.
- You need of Seasoning cubes and salt.
- It’s 2 TSP of ground crayfish.
- Prepare of Ugu, chopped.
Egusi soup is a culinary soup prepared with egusi seeds as a primary ingredient. Egusi seeds are the fat- and protein-rich seeds of certain cucurbitaceous (squash, melon, gourd) plants. Egusi soup is common and prevalent across Central Africa, and may be served atop rice. Ground Egusi seeds give this soup a unique color and flavor.
Egusi soup step by step
- Season and boil meat, stockfish and dry fish till it's cooked. Set aside.
- Grind your shombo, tatashe and pepper.
- Fry grinded pepper mix with Palm oil till it's dry.
- Add grinded egusi and fry till the mix looks dry and in pebble form.
- Pour in your meat and stock, bring to boil. Adjust taste.
- Add your crayfish and more water if need be..
- Add your chopped ugu, stir..
- Bring it down and serve.
If you can't find Egusi seeds, you can substitute pumpkin seeds. Any combination of crab, shrimp and smoked fish can be used in place of. Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. Find out how to cook egusi soup with this egusi soup recipe. Egusi Soup (Caking Method) : I also call this one the Egusi Before Oil method.