Quick Meatball and Orzo Soup. This soup is a variation of the wonderful Greek avgolemono soup. Using ready-made meatballs makes it a quick and easy supper dish, but it doesn't shortcut the hearty soup's delicious flavor. Turkey meatballs in an easy soup with spinach and orzo!
A dusting of grated Parmesan added at the end brings out the flavor of the cheese. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. Add the baby spinach and cooled orzo to the simmering broth and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is piping hot. You can have Quick Meatball and Orzo Soup using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Quick Meatball and Orzo Soup
- It’s of soup.
- It’s 2 lb of frozen meatballs, thaw out a bit.
- Prepare 1 small of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 10 cup of beef stock.
- It’s 1 tsp of powdered garlic.
- It’s 1 lb of orzo pasta.
- It’s 14 oz of can of Italian style stewed tomatoes.
- It’s 1 lb of bag frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid.
- You need 1 of salt and fresh pepper to taste.
- You need 2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese to top each portion.
Learn how to make this heart-healthy recipe with Janice Hall, a volunteer with the American Heart Association. Subscribe to WMUR on YouTube now. Homemade meatballs and orzo form the base for this tasty soup, a fun spin on the traditional spaghetti dinner. The kid-friendly dish comes together in just over half an hour, making it a perfect option for busy weeknights.
Quick Meatball and Orzo Soup instructions
- In stock pot on medium heat add oil. Saute onions and garlic together for 3 minutes..
- Add in meatballs and cook another 4 minutes..
- Add in garlic powder, tomatoes, stock and spinach. Raise heat to medium high and bring to boil..
- Add in orzo, reduce heat to medium and cook until orzo are just tender, 8-10 minutes..
- Check now for salt and pepper , add to your liking..
- Remove from heat, serve with a nice salad and crusty bread to dip in broth. Top each serving with cheese..
- NOTE: IF YOU PLAN TO HAVE LEFTOVERS, COOK ORZO SEPARATELY. ADD TO EACH SERVING. STORING WITH ORZO WILL RESULT IN ORZO SOAKING IN LIQUIDS AND BECOMING MUSHY..
- Recipe by taylor68too..
Beef meatballs are flavored with garlic and fresh parsley, then simmered. This orzo, spinach, and meatball soup is comforting, healthy, and light. The balance between meat, whole grains (orzo), and vegetables (spinach) makes for a well-rounded, soul satisfying meal. Try using leftover Turkey or chicken in place of the meatballs! This soup is hearty and simple to make.