spicy black eyed pea soup. Recipe by PalatablePastime. this was very good and very easy to make. the recipe was great, the only problem with the soup was the awful brand of smoked sausage i used. dh and i loved this soup and will definitely make it on a regular basis. thank you for posting this. These spicy black-eyed peas, also known as Hoppin' John, make a tasty meal for any day of the week, but it is best on New Years Day! These Southern black-eyed peas are a traditional New Year's Day dish, also known as Hoppin' John.
This is a really good low-budget soup, although that shouldn't be the reason you want to make this. Sometimes people call this black-eyed "bean" soup and it is a lot like bean soup. This collards and black-eyed peas soup is spicy, smoky, vegan, and low-fat. You can cook spicy black eyed pea soup using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of spicy black eyed pea soup
- It’s 13 oz of dry black eye peas.
- Prepare 4 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 4 cup of water.
- It’s 1/3 large of onion.
- Prepare 1 medium of red pepper.
- Prepare 1 medium of green pepper.
- Prepare 2 1/2 tbsp of minced jalapenos.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt (may add more to suit your taste).
- It’s 3/4 envelope of chicken bolion cube.
- You need 1 packages of smoked turkey sausage (you can use any smoked meat of your choice).
- It’s 4 slice of turkey bacon (you can use pork bacon as well).
- Prepare 1 can of okra.
Make it quickly in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker! I've had a package So in the end, I took an old favorite soup, Lorna Sass' Collards and Black-eyed Pea Soup, and gave it the Louisiana treatment: green bell peppers. This Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Soup is an easy way to cook this hearty, cheap, and nutritious soup with dried black eyed peas in half the usual time! And it's a great way to use up any leftover ham (or a ham bone) you have from the holidays.
spicy black eyed pea soup step by step
- soak beans in bowl of water over night. Make sure you put enough water in the bowl beacuse the beans will expand.
- cut up all vegetables in to bite size pices.
- cook turkey Bacon 1/2 way & cut into 1in pieces.
- put all ingredients into crock pot & set on low. Cook for 8 to 10 hrs.
- goes good with multi grain bread & rice.
In the south, it's traditional to eat black eyed peas and greens. Add cheese and simmer gently until cheese is melted. Easy to make black-eyed pea soup in the crock pot. Goes great with corn bread on the side. Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Soup Sometimes people call this black-eyed bean soup and it is a lot like bean soup.