Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup). The ultimate comforting Asian noodle soup – soto ayam or Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup. Flavoured with turmeric and coconut and served with rice noodles. Soto ayam is a yellow spicy chicken soup with lontong or nasi himpit or ketupat (all compressed rice that is then cut into small cakes) and/or vermicelli or noodles, it is from Indonesia, and popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Suriname.
I've had soto ayam in the Netherlands. That's as close as you can get outside Indonesia I think. They are mad for Indonesian in the Netherlands. You can have Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) using 27 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup)
- It’s 2 lbs of chicken thigh (boneless).
- Prepare 2 L (8 cups) of water.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 5 of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 2 of lemon grass (the white part only), bruised.
- You need 1 inch of dried galangal.
- It’s 2 of celery stalks, chopped.
- You need 3 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- You need of Grind the following into spice paste :.
- Prepare 7 of shallots.
- Prepare 5 of garlic cloves.
- You need 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of ginger powder.
- You need 2 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground cummin.
- Prepare 5 of candlenut.
- You need of Accompaniments and Garnishes :.
- You need Glass of noodle, soaked in hot boiling water until soft then drained.
- Prepare of Shredded cabbage.
- You need of Cooked rice.
- It’s of Homemade potato chips (optional).
- Prepare of Scallion stalk/chives, finely chopped.
- Prepare of Shrimp crackers, process in a food processor until they get powdery (optional).
- Prepare of Fried shallots (optional).
- Prepare 6 of hard boiled eggs.
Soto ayam, an Indonesian version of chicken soup, is a clear herbal broth brightened by fresh turmeric and herbs, with skinny rice noodles buried in the bowl. It is served with a boiled egg, fried shallots, celery leaves and herbs, and is hearty enough for a meal. This version of the classic Indonesian chicken soup comes from the Hyatt Regency in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. In the magazine, they talk about having a no RSVP soup party which is low pressure & high commitment..
Soto Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Soup) instructions
- In a frying pan, heat 3 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the spice paste, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and galangal until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning..
- Turn the heat off. Transfer everything from the frying pan to a slow cooker. Add chicken, water, chopped celery, salt, sugar and white pepper. Set on low. Cook for 6 hours. Taste and adjust salt/pepper as needed..
- Take the chicken out and let them cool. Shred the meat..
- How to serve : Prepare bowls, add into each bowl some glass noodle, some shredded cabbage, some shredded chicken, 1 hard boil egg, garnish with some chopped scallion, fried shallots, potato chips and ground shrimp crackers. Pour in the soup. To make a more filling meal, it is common in Indonesia to serve Soto Ayam with a bowl of warm white rice. Sometimes I also add some fresh sliced tomatoes..
- I made sweet potato chips instead of potato chips. I sliced the sweet potatoes thinly using a 1 mm slicing blade in a food processor then soaked them in salt water for an hour then deep fried them. Do the same thing if you use potatoes..
More Awesome Noodle Recipes Just For You INGREDIENT Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup (Soto Ayam) European Print This. How to make the ULTIMATE claypot chicken rice at h. Nasi Goreng.the Indonesian fried rice that packs. How to make classic Vietnamese Beef Pho at home. Soto ayam is a chicken soup dish originated from Indonesia and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore.