Italian Wedding Soup. After reading everyone elses reviews this is what I did to make the best Italian wedding soup I've EVER tasted. Wedding soup or Italian wedding soup is an Italian soup consisting of green vegetables and meat. It is popular in the United States, where it is a staple in many Italian restaurants.
I have no Italian lineage and my mom never made it growing up, so for whatever reason it seemed easy to mess up. Calling this "Italian wedding soup" is somewhat of a misnomer since the dish is unrelated to weddings. The name is said to come from the words "minestra maritata," which mean "married soup." Italian Wedding Soup is about a fortuitous marriage of ingredients: chicken broth, meatballs, spinach, parmesan cheese and eggs. You can cook Italian Wedding Soup using 21 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Italian Wedding Soup
- It’s of Meatballs:.
- You need 1/2 pound of ground veal.
- You need 1/4 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- You need 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic minced.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of milk.
- Prepare 1 of egg beaten.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground pepper.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- You need of Soup:.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of sweet onion finely chopped.
- You need 1 cup of carrots finely chopped.
- It’s 1 cup of celery finely chopped.
- It’s 2 cartons of chicken stock (about 8 cups).
- Prepare 1 tsp of oregano.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- You need 1/2 cup of ancini de pepe (small pasta).
- You need 2 cups of baby spinach.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
This Italian wedding soup recipe is simple to make and the absolute BEST thing to eat! My whole family loves it, and yours will, too. Served at every Italian-American wedding across the nation, Italian Wedding Soup is something no self-respecting Italian-American couple would ever think of getting married without it. The whole family loves this Italian wedding soup with tender meatballs, veggies and pasta in a rich, flavorful broth.
Italian Wedding Soup step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients for the meatballs together and shape into small meatballs. Place on a pan lined with parchment paper and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through..
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion. Add the next five ingredients for the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the ancini de pepe and simmer for another 6 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add meatballs, spinach and parmesan cheese and cook for 2 more minutes..
- Serve and enjoy!.
This Italian Wedding Soup Recipe is simply the best! Made with acini de pepe, beef and pork meatballs, carrots, celery, greens, and Parmesan cheese. Wedding soup gets its name from an Italian phrase which is translated to "married soup". It is a reference to the flavors coming together so well, like a marriage. Meatballs in a hearty broth with acini.