Sop buntut (oxtail soup). Ingredients to prepare Indonesian sop buntut (oxtail soup): oxtail, carrot, potatoes, shallots, garlic, ginger, onion, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, salt If a restaurant serves sop buntut at all, it will be really hard to miss since this soup is probably the most expensive dish among the many dishes available. Oxtail soup is made with beef tails. The use of the word "ox" in this context is a legacy of nomenclature; no specialized stock of beef animals are used and tails may come from bovines other than oxen.
Rich in collagen and filled with complex flavors, I always serve this with steamed rice and extra sliced tomatoes, fish sauce, shallot. Buntut in Indonesian language means Tail, hence the name just like in English…Sop Buntut. This was a popular street food that has made its way to restaurant menu. You can cook Sop buntut (oxtail soup) using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sop buntut (oxtail soup)
- You need 1 kg of oxtail/ beef tail, cut into serving pieces.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of chopped ginger.
- It’s 1/2 of nutmeg, bruised.
- It’s 1 of spring onion, cut into 2-3 pieces.
- You need 1 tablespoon of margarine.
- You need 200 gram of carrots, cut into 3 cm pieces, then halved or quarter.
- It’s 250 gram of potatoes, cut into 4-6 pieces.
- Prepare of Salt.
- Prepare of Spices (ground).
- It’s 5 of shallots.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of peppercorns.
- Prepare of For the Garnishing:.
- Prepare of Fried shallots, spring onions, chopped Chinese parsley.
- It’s of Melinjo nut crackers.
I love the tenderness of the oxtail after being cooked for such long hours and the spice-rich tasting soup. Indonesian oxtail soup (sop buntut) is the most venerated and loved. Like its Western soupy counterpart it features diced oxtail in a clear but rich beef broth, chopped carrots, celery and potato, but with signature Asian flavours of ginger, coriander, lime and chilies as well. Oxtail soup is one of popular dish in Asian, one of them is Indonesia.
Sop buntut (oxtail soup) instructions
- Put oxtail in a pan with 2 litters water and bring to boil. Carefully scoop off and discard the scum floating on the surface..
- Discard the stock and replace with 2 litters clean hot water..
- Add chopped ginger, nutmeg and spring onion. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat until tender..
- Remove the tail, reserving 1 1/2 litters stock. Bring the stock to the boil, then add the oxtail..
- Heat margarine and fry ground spices until fragrant. Add to the boiling stock, then add carrot and potatoes. Bring to the boil until all the ingredients are thoroughly cooked..
- Garnish with fried shallots, spring onions, Chinese parsley and melinjo nut crackers. Server hot with steam rice..
- Very suitable to be eaten during winter season .
- Happy cooking .
We called it "sop buntut" in Indonesia. Known and famous for in Indonesia is Sop Buntut (oxtail soup) – a warm & hearty stew that you can't get enough of on a cold chilly day. & here, we give you one of our best sop buntut recipes. Oxtails, which are often used to make beef stock, soups, and stews, bring their signature rich taste to this satisfying and easy soup. Although the name implies otherwise, oxtails are beef tails (no specific breed of cow is used), and they happen to make the most delicious soup. Sop Buntut – Oxtail Soup -.