French Onion Soup.
You can cook French Onion Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 5 medium of onions.
- You need 1 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of rosemary.
- It’s 1 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 6 cup of Beef stock.
- It’s 1 of ground black pepper (to taste).
- Prepare 1/2 of baguette (cut into slices).
- It’s 3 cup of provolone cheese (shredded).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chives.
- It’s 1 of garlic clove.
French Onion Soup step by step
- To caramelize the onions. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add onions. Cook onions stirring regularly until onions are dark golden brown color, about 45 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add rosemary and flour. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually stir in red wine. Let reduce for 5 to 10 minutes then add beef stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Finish with fresh ground pepper..
- Brush slices with olive oil and toast under broiler until lightly golden. Rub with garlic..
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with toasted bread and provolone cheese. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles, about 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with chopped chives.