Egusi soup. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup. In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups. Egusi Soup Recipe-This is an updated version of my Egusi Soup.
Egusi Soup is a finger-licking good Nigerian soup made with a white variety of pumpkin seeds. It is spicy, nutty with exotic African flavors! See the video below on how to make Egusi Soup. You can have Egusi soup using 7 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Egusi soup
- Prepare 1 of medium sized Stockfish.
- It’s 2 cups of Egusi.
- You need 1 cup of Palmoil.
- You need of Salt.
- You need 3 cubes of Seasoning.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Crayfish.
- You need 4 of Pepper.
Egusi soup is a culinary soup prepared with egusi seeds as a primary ingredient. Egusi seeds are the fat- and protein-rich seeds of certain cucurbitaceous (squash, melon, gourd) plants. Egusi soup is common and prevalent across Central Africa, and may be served atop rice. Ground Egusi seeds give this soup a unique color and flavor.
Egusi soup step by step
- Season the stockfish with salt and onion boil to be tender.pour in water and palmoil and cover and boil for sometime then blend in the egusi..
- Onces the egusi is boiling very well add crayfish,pepper,salt after 10minutes add seasoning stir and allow to boil a bit.chop the vegetable rinse and pour in the soup stir and dont over cook the vegetable..
If you can't find Egusi seeds, you can substitute pumpkin seeds. Any combination of crab, shrimp and smoked fish can be used in place of. Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. Find out how to cook egusi soup with this egusi soup recipe. Egusi Soup (Caking Method) : I also call this one the Egusi Before Oil method.