Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot). By :Instant Pot Recipe Collection Cookbook. Stir in broth and water, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add split peas, half of bacon, salt, pepper Discover the wonderful world of Instant Pot®!
Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Let warm up and add butter and olive oil. A split pea is a dried pea that has its skin removed and is then "split." They're low-fat, super high in protein, and they have tons of fiber. You can have Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot)
- It’s 1 pound of split peas.
- It’s 7 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 6-7 rashers of bacon.
- You need 1 of smoked ham hock.
- You need 1 of large carrot grated.
- You need 1 of small onion chopped.
- It’s 1 of tspn black pepper.
- It’s 1 dash of olive oil.
What's the difference between yellow and green split peas? Green split peas tend to be a little sweeter than more mild-tasting yellow split peas. Split pea soup needs to taste like it was simmering for hours in a concentrated ham atmosphere, something biologists would take samples of back to As such, you can make this Instant Pot split pea soup recipe without the ham hock and absurd bacon croutons and still have a flavorful, hearty soup. Dried split peas are cooked with ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks.
Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) step by step
- Chop onions to desired size, chop bacon to about 1 inch squares, and grate carrot with cheese grater.
- Sauté onions with oil in instant pot for about 2 minutes, then toss in bacon and cook until it’s the consistency of ham. They need not be crispy but you don’t want them rubbery..
- Turn off the sauté function. Add split peas, chicken broth, ham hock, carrots , and pepper. Set instant pot to 25 minutes and cook..
- Whisk hot soup before serving to break up clumps of split pea, there should be some stuck to the bottom of the pot, try not to reincorporate this into the soup. I garnished mine with fried rosemary garlic sourdough croutons..
- Complete! Share a cooksnap & tell us what you thought!.
- VARIANT: replace the bacon and ham hock with a smoked turkey leg. After soup is cooked, remove turkey leg, pull meat from bone, and return meat to soup..
Remove the meat from the ham hocks and stir it into your soup, or add some smoky bacon or diced chicken. › Split Pea Soup. Discover a delicious split pea soup recipe with ham hocks, carrots, and dried split peas. It's cooked in the crock pot and is easy to customize. Additionally, you can blend the finished soup for a smooth texture or mash the peas and vegetables with a potato masher for a chunkier soup. This unique soup combines the best of split pea and potato soups with some crispy bacon for extra flavor.