Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup. This is a simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for pureed split pea and lentil soup, made with split peas, brown or green lentils, carrots, celery, and herbs. The mixture of split peas and lentils gives this vegetable soup a nice texture, especially once it is blended until smooth. While it takes a little over an.
What better way to warm your bones on a wintry day? Our split pea and lentil soup is hearty, healthy and completely vegan. This our amazon affiliate link to. You can have Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- You need 1 cup of dried split peas.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of green lentils.
- It’s 1/2 cup of yellow lentils.
- It’s 2/3 cup of barley.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 medium of onions.
- You need 4 clove of garlic.
- It’s 5 medium of carrots.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
The perfect plant-based main or side. The base for this lovely, everyday soup starts with hearty vegetables for plenty of plant-based fiber and flavor. I went with carrots, celery, kale. This delicious, vegan split pea soup with carrots and potatoes is the definition of comfort food and can be made quickly in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup instructions
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
If your days are as busy and rushed as mine have been lately, perhaps you won't mind if I give barely any introduction to one of my favorite split. These hearty vegetarian soups, stews and chilis will warm you up on cold days! Find a variety of healthy "This soup is AMAZING! Holy cow the lemon in this just adds something that I never knew I was missing! I was searching for a vegetarian Split Pea Soup, but couldn't find one on your website.