French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock. French onion soup can be a little fussy, time-consuming, and tear-inducing, but if you've got a few hours on a rainy Saturday, there are few better ways to spend it than in the pursuit of this classic. You can have French Onion Soup using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- It’s 5 of large yellow onions, sliced.
- You need 6 tablespoons of salted butter.
- You need 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- You need 2 tablespoons of worchestershire sauce.
- You need 2 cans (48 oz) of each) beef broth, or 1 of chicken and 1 of beef.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of pepper (or to taste).
- It’s 1 tablespoon of salt (or to taste).
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of thyme.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of granulated garlic, or 2 cloves minced.
- You need 4-6 slices of toasted plain french bread.
- You need 4-6 slices of provolone cheese.
Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. French onion soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. For years, I haven't been able to find a good vegetarian version of it, because it's traditionally made with beef broth.
French Onion Soup step by step
- In a Dutch oven, or another large pot, place the butter, olive oil and onions in, set heat to low.
- Continue to stir, being careful not to burn the onions, this is a low and slow recipe…patience is KEY! Once the butter is melted, you can turn the heat up a tad to a lower medium. This process takes about 1 and a half hours..
- Once onions have reached caramelization, add all other ingredients and bring up to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, Ladle into soup cups, leaving almost an inch from the top to place the toasted bread and the provolone cheese. Place under broiler to melt the cheese, until bubbly.
Making truly authentic French Onion Soup is easier than you think! This wonderful, simple and flavorful soup is the perfect warm dish for winter! French onion soup is a hearty dish made with the comforting flavors of onions, beef stock, bread and cheese. Some variations call for chunks of beef, but in the classic rendition, the onions are the star. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world.