French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup!
Slice onions finely, sautee in butter until tender. Add water, boullion cubes, and Kitchen Bouquet. Although onion soups date back to Roman times, this particular soup began life in eighteenth century Paris as a beef Spanish onions, although lacking in acidity, will also work. You can have French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons
- It’s 4 large of Yellow onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 4 of Red onions, finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of Leek, finely sliced and washed.
- Prepare 5 clove of Garlic, minced.
- Prepare 40 grams of Butter.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of Dried bay leaf.
- You need 1 of bouquet garni of parsley, thyme and oregano.
- It’s 1 3/4 of Litre, good quality chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 cup of Red wine.
- You need 1 of Splash of cider vinegar.
- You need 1 of Grated cheddar & Parmesan to serve.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper to taste.
- You need 1 of French stick, sliced thickly diagonally.
- Prepare 1 of Grated cheddar and Parmesan.
I like to float croutons on mine and I grate some. Top each serving of soup with a Parmesan crouton. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with. It may be slightly unusual to suggest French Onion Soup for a Valentine's Day dinner—just as unusual, probably, as my putting Roasted Garlic This soup is absolutely, positively, undeniably out of this world.
French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons instructions
- Slice all onions and leeks..
- Heat a large heavy base melt butter and add olive oil- high heat. Add onions and leek. You want to sweat down onions slowly for around and hour. Stir occasionally, and return lid so that it 3/4 covers pot- allowing steam to escape..
- You will have to turn temp down whilst cooking onions, you don't want to burn or over do them. Meanwhile, gather herbs and tie together with string to make bouquet garni..
- Deglaze pot with wine and vinegar. Add stock and herbs. Bring to the boil- reduce heat and simmer for a further 1/2 hour. Check and adjust seasoning if needed..
- Now to get croutons ready. Heat oven to 160*C. Slice French stick. Grate cheddar and Parmesan over bread. Grate extra cheese to add to soup..
- Bake until golden brown an cheese has melted. Remove and set aside..
- Serve soup in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and top with croutons. Yum!.
It's the crouton—half crisp and covered with cheese, half submerged and soaked in the. See my secret tip that makes it easiesr to eat and lets you get ALL the cheeses in there! Is there anything better than a perfect French Onion Soup covered in croutons and glorious amounts of melted cheese? Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock.