Homemade French Onion Soup. Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Arrange the bowls on a rimmed baked sheet.
Place onions and butter in saucepan. Sauté on medium heat until onions are tender. Add beef broth, consomme, and Woschershire sauce. You can cook Homemade French Onion Soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Homemade French Onion Soup
- Prepare 1 1/2 pounds of onion.
- You need 2 tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Oil.
- It’s 4 cups of Beef Broth.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Balsamic Vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of or 2 sprigs Thyme.
- You need of Mozzarella Cheese.
- It’s of Salt and Pepper.
This french onion soup recipe is made with perfectly caramelized onions, fresh thyme sprigs, crusty baguette slices and two types of melted cheese right on top!. It is a cold winter in Los Angeles. How to Make French Onion Soup. There are two essential components of a good French onion soup.
Homemade French Onion Soup instructions
- Chop onions, and combine butter and oil. Put into slow cooker on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours. 1 1/2 pounds is around 5 small onions or 3 large onions..
- Once onions are soft and are slightly brown, put in 4 cups beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and thyme. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or 6 hours on low..
- Serve in bowl and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top..
- Serve hot and enjoy!!.
Your soup will only be as good as the stock you are using. This soup traditionally is made with beef stock, though sometimes a good beef stock can be hard to come by and expensive to make. How To Make French Onion Soup To begin, in a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, salt, pepper, and sugar. Melt butter in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.