Morrocan chicken and chickpea soup. Chickpeas seem to call out for Moroccan spices, so that's what they get here. I make this soup really chunky and hearty. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot.
Harissa is a red chili paste from northern Africa where it is used as a condiment. This Moroccan Chickpea Soup recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, it's super easy to Hi there! So excited to make this soup for dinner tonight with some tasty lemon-garlic chicken Love your recipes, one question on this Moroccan soup recipe, do I drain and rinse the chic peas ? You can have Morrocan chicken and chickpea soup using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Morrocan chicken and chickpea soup
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 large of chicken breast.
- You need 1 large of brown onion, finely diced.
- You need 2 clove of garlic, crushed.
- It’s 1 tsp of ginger, grated.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of each ground cumin and ground coriander.
- You need 1 tsp of ground turmeric.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of sweet paprika.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1/4 cup of plain flour.
- Prepare 1 of litre chicken stock.
- You need 1 of litre water.
- Prepare 1 of tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 800 grams of canned crushed tomatoes.
- You need 2 tbsp of preserved lemon rind, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of loosely packed coriander leaves.
This Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup is from the new Mediterranean Table Cookbook, authored by the editors of Prevention and my dearest friend, Jennifer McDaniel. I swear this soup was made with me in mind, it's got all of my favorite ingredients: chickpeas, lentils, brown rice, lots of fresh herbs and. Harira is a famous Moroccan soup that's especially popular in Ramadan. This classic recipe uses fresh tomatoes, chickpeas, and lentils.
Morrocan chicken and chickpea soup step by step
- Heat half the oil in large frying pan over medium heat and cook chicken until browned. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes and shred with two forks.
- Heat remaining oil in large pot over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and ginger, stirring until onion softens. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add flour; cook gently, stirring until mixture thickens and bubbles. Gradually stir in stock and water; cook stirring until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for a further 10 minutes..
- Add chicken and preserved lemon; stirring until soup is hot. Season to taste. Add coriander just before serving.
Harira is a classic Moroccan comfort soup made with tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas, fresh herbs, dried spices, and meat, making it a filling and satisfying dish. Take soup to the next level with this recipe for Moroccan spiced chicken and chickpea vegetable soup. Meanwhile, while the chicken is cooking, start to prepare the soup. Try something different for vegetarians with Moroccan chickpea soup from BBC Good Food. Cumin, coriander, and cinnamon give this easy soup an exotic Moroccan flavor.