The Legendary Turnip Cheese Soup.
You can have The Legendary Turnip Cheese Soup using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of The Legendary Turnip Cheese Soup
- You need 1/4 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 3 cups of half & half, warmed up and set aside.
- It’s 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need 12 oz of smoked cheddar, grated.
- You need 1 of celery rib, finely chopped.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 of Spanish onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of thyme, chopped.
- It’s 1 of shallot, minced.
- Prepare 6 oz of gouda, grated.
- Prepare 3 cups of chicken stock (recipe coming soon). You can use veggie stock to make this vegetarian.
- It’s 3 of turnips, cubed, seasoned and oven roasted.
- It’s of Sea or Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- You need 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled – OPTIONAL.
- You need 1 of large stockpot.
- It’s 1 of medium pot.
- Prepare 1 of immersion blender.
The Legendary Turnip Cheese Soup step by step
- Add the 1/4 cup butter to the pan on medium heat, and as the butter melts whisk in the flour. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the flour turns a light brown and smells a little nutty..
- In a slow, constant stream to avoid clumping, add the warm half & half into the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Let the mixture heat as you whisk, and it will gradually thicken. Add the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper..
- Once the sauce is the consistency of a light gravy, add the grated cheese and whisk it into the sauce so it melts evenly. Set aside..
- In the medium pot, add the 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Then add the celery, onion, shallot, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the stock and bring to a simmer..
- CAREFULLY whisk the stock mixture into the cheese sauce until it is fully incorporated. Then add the turnips..
- Now here's the fun part! Plug in your immersion blender, and start demolishing the turnips in the soup. They don't have to be completely pureed, just enough to have small chunks of turnips in the mix. Keep the soup on a low burner until your guests arrive..
- Top with crumbled bacon if you wish..