Beef and Barley Vegtable Soup. Beef barley soup should taste deeply beefy, and should be loaded with chunks of tender, flavorful meat, plump grains of barley, and aromatic vegetables. The secret to those results is to make it much like a beef stew, choosing the right cut of beef, handling it the right way. This ultra comforting beef barley soup recipe is made so easily in the slow cooker, which also makes for incredibly tender beef and vegetables, with perfectly textured barley!
In a large crockpot, combine the beef mixture and the rest of the ingredients up to the water. Barley adds texture to the dish and makes it satisfying enough for lunch or dinner. Use lean stewing beef or round steak in the recipe, and feel free to change the vegetables to suit. You can have Beef and Barley Vegtable Soup using 21 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef and Barley Vegtable Soup
- It’s 1 pound of Beef Bottom Round Steak (Thin).
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of Flour.
- It’s 4 teaspoons of Course Salt.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of Black Pepper.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of Oil (olive or avocado).
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Garlic (minced).
- You need 1 of Yellow Onion (chopped).
- It’s 2 Stalks of Celery (minced).
- It’s 4 of Carrots (chopped).
- Prepare 1 cup of Red Wine.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce.
- You need 6 cups of Beef Broth.
- It’s 4 of New Potatoes (diced).
- Prepare 1 can of Diced Tomatoes.
- You need 1 can of Green beans.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin (ground).
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Oregano (leaves).
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of Season Salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of Quick Barley.
- You need 1 package of Brown Gravy.
- You need 2 of Green Onions.
This hearty soup includes lots of your favorite winter vegetables — celery, carrots, potatoes — in addition to its two mainstays: tender chunks of beef, and pearl barley, which gives the soup substance. This is a very inexpensive, beef & barley vegetable soup mix. We like to serve it with crusty bread, a glass of robust red wine, and a salad, for a deliciously comforting meal. If you happen to have some bits of leftover veggies in the fridge from a previous meal, don't hesitate to chop them up and add them in.
Beef and Barley Vegtable Soup instructions
- Add oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to 5 or 6 quart pot on medium/high heat..
- Chop beef into 2 inch strips, sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides and cover in flour. Add beef to pot with vegetables and cook until brown, stirring occasionally..
- Add red wine and soy sauce to pot and stir to deglaze. Add beef broth, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, to pot and bring to a boil..
- Add cumin, oregano, and season salt. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Stir gravy package into soup and add barley. Cover and simmer 10 minutes..
- Add green onions to soup and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes..
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve..
This beef barley soup is a hearty combination of beef, vegetables, barley and mushrooms, all simmered together until tender and flavorful. A hearty dinner option that's easy to make and freezer friendly. My family could eat soup every night. With tender chunks of beef, a concentrated broth, potatoes and barley, it's very hearty and rich. Chock full of more vegetables – onions, celery, carrots, garlic A stew is like a great marriage between an entree and a soup.