Hot and Sour Soup. The traditional hot and sour soup recipe call for Chinese dry shiitake mushroom. Soak the mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated and become very soft and easy to cut. The time required varies from an hour to two or three hours, as it depends on the thickness of the mushrooms.
Soup preparation may use chicken or pork broth, or may be meat-free. This restaurant-style Hot and Sour Soup recipe is the best!! It's quick and simple to make, easy to adapt to your personal taste preferences, and so delicious! You can cook Hot and Sour Soup using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hot and Sour Soup
- Prepare 1 of small carrot.
- It’s 5-6 of button mushrooms.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of shredded cabbage.
- Prepare ¼ cup of finely chopped french beans.
- It’s 1 of small onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger.
- You need 4-5 teaspoons of corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water.
- It’s 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper or white pepper.
- Prepare 3/4 teaspoon of red chilli paste or green chilli sauce.
- Prepare 3 teaspoon of soy sauce.
- You need 2 teaspoon of rice vinegar.
- It’s 2.5 cups of water or veg stock.
- It’s 2-3 teaspoons of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves).
Hot and sour soup 酸辣湯 is a traditional northern Chinese favorite packed with the acidity of Zhenjiang vinegar, the spiciness of the white pepper and the. Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US. It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and gloopy. There was a time when I never thought to make it myself and resigned myself to the luck of the draw when it came to ordering it.
Hot and Sour Soup instructions
- First rinse and shred the cabbage and french beans. Wipe the mushrooms with a wet cloth and then slice them. rinse, peel and grate the carrots. chop the onions, ginger and garlic. stir-frying veggies for hot and sour soup heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai (wok). Add finely chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Stir and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes..
- Then add the finely chopped french beans. stir and add the sliced mushrooms. on a medium to high flame, stir fry till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges. meanwhile make a paste of corn starch and water. Keep aside. once the mushrooms are lightly browned (takes about 5 to 6 minutes on a medium to high flame) add carrots, cabbage and celery..
- Stir fry these veggies on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Making hot and sour soup-Add water or veg stock. stir well. add soy sauce and stir. then season with salt..
- Stir the corn starch paste and add it to the soup. Stir again very well. Allow the soup to thicken on a low to medium flame. when the hot and sour soup has thickened, add black pepper or white pepper and vinegar. give a final stir. switch off the flame..
- Check the taste and add more soy sauce, vinegar or salt or black pepper if required. serve the hot and sour soup steaming hot garnished with cilantro leaves. you can also just add the cilantro leaves towards the end and then serve the soup..
- NOTE- you can add veggies of your choice. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled..
Savoury, spicy, sour and hearty, Hot and Sour Soup is completely addictive! This recipe stacks up to the best Chinese restaurants. Hot and Sour soup is a Chinese soup that's savoury, spicy and tangy. The broth is thickened and it's filled with mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots and silky egg ribbons. Hot and sour soup (Suan La Tang) is a common dish popular in China especially in cold winter.