Pinoy-style Onion Soup.
You can have Pinoy-style Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pinoy-style Onion Soup
- It’s 3 each of Large red onions.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of Salt.
- Prepare 1 pinch of Ground black pepper.
- You need 1/2 stick of Butter.
- You need 2 tbsp of Canned sliced mushrooms (optional).
- It’s 1 liter of Water.
- It’s 1 each of Beef or chicken bouillon cube.
- Prepare 4 each of Medium-sized eggs.
- You need 3 each of Stale or day-old pan de sal.
Pinoy-style Onion Soup step by step
- Peel and rinse the onions. Slice in half and slice each half into crescents before cutting in half again..
- Heat your soup pan and melt the butter until slightly bubbly..
- Add in the onions and cook under low to medium heat, stirring occassionally until the onions are well-coated with butter..
- Add the sugar and salt and continue to cook under low heat until the onions turn a golden to dark brown. You may add the mushrooms and saute slightly at this point. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be patient if the caramelizing of the onion slices take a while. You do not want high heat and risk burning your onions. :).
- Add the water and bouillon cube. Alternatively, you can use beef or chicken stock if you have it available. *Note: Prepared store-bought stock is not readily available in the Philippines versus beef or chicken cubes, making this the usual option for Pinoy cooks. :).
- Keep at medium heat and boil for about 15-30 minutes, adding the ground pepper in and whatever additional spices you would like. The longer you boil, the more flavorful the soup will be..
- While the soup is simmering, slice your pan de sal (or bread of choice) horizontally into 1/4-inch thick slices. This will be your soup's "topping"..
- Turn off the heat once soup is cooked down to desired flavor..
- To serve, crack a whole egg into your soup bowl and pour your hot soup over it. Top with your bread slices..