Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. Leftover Recipe: Southwestern Chicken and Rice Stew. I always have yummy leftovers after serving this meal. To make the most of my dinner dollars I just add Slow cooker pot roast is one of the most common meals to make with a crock pot.
You can even put the chicken in frozen. Remove the chicken and shred with a fork, return to soup. This zesty soup can simmer in the crock pot for an entire workday, making it perfect for a busy weekday meal. You can cook Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- Prepare 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- You need 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- Prepare 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- Prepare 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- It’s 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- It’s 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- You need 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- It’s of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
Bump up the Southwest flavors with a garnished of chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired. SLOW COOKER SOUTHWESTERN CHEESY CHICKEN PASTA Another older recipe of mine that I took the time to make a video of! This is a recipe I make over and over! This turbocharged, south-of-the-border chicken soup features a spicy, tomatoey broth overflowing with tender shredded chicken and fresh, bright garnishes.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup step by step
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
Typically, this broth acquires its deep, smoky flavor from charred vegetables. To replicate these flavors in a slow cooker, we browned some of the. Learn how to make Southwestern Slow Cooker Chicken and Potato Soup & see the Smartpoints value of this great recipe. Slow Cooked Southwestern Chicken & White Bean Soup. Good, but nothing to add to the recipe file.