Butternut Squash Soup. This Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free, easy to make, and SO delicious! This Butternut Squash Soup recipe is creamy and delicious, without being loaded up with heavy cream. It's easy to prepare, and the incredible flavor of the butternut squash really shines.
Ready in an hour and freezes well. Butternut squash soup is a classic fall and winter soup recipe. But today we're roasting the butternut squash, which gives so much more depth of flavor and. You can cook Butternut Squash Soup using 10 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Butternut Squash Soup
- You need of Butternut squash.
- You need of Olive oil.
- You need of Onion.
- Prepare of Bulb of garlic (if you really like garlic use the whole bulb).
- Prepare of Celery.
- It’s of Carrot.
- You need of Thyme (3 sprigs tied in a bundle).
- Prepare of Rosemary (1 sprig).
- You need of Freshly grated nutmeg.
- Prepare of Water.
This butternut squash soup recipe is the best! Watch how to make the best butternut squash soup in this short video! The trick is to roast the butternut squash, which is easy to do and yields tons of extra flavor. Top your butternut squash soup with bacon, mix it with spices, or add it into chili.
Butternut Squash Soup instructions
- Preheat oven to 425..
- Cut butternut squash length-wise so it's cut evenly in half..
- Remove seeds using a spoon or your fingers..
- Poke holes in meat side of squash..
- Salt and pepper the meat side liberally..
- Drizzle half the olive oil over the squash.
- Place squash on a tray and roast meat side up for 1 hour..
- While the squash is in oven, preheat a large pot to medium-high heat..
- Add remaining olive oil to pot.
- Julienne onion. Size doesn't matter. Add to the pot and stir..
- Cut celery and carrot. Again size doesn't matter..
- Add salt and pepper and the bundle of tied up thyme..
- Chop rosemary. Again size doesn't matter. But the smaller the better. And add to pot.
- Grate the nutmeg into a small dish and add to vegetables..
- Sauté the vegetables (mirepoix) for roughly 5 minutes until some color develops..
- Add water and let simmer on med heat for about 45 min or so..
- When the squash is done roasting let it rest for 10-15 min. By then the stock should be about ready. Turn it off..
- The skin of the squash should peel off easily. Skin it and add to a blender. You might need to do half the squash depending on the size of the blender. If you only do half the squash only add half the stock with all the vegetables (take the thyme binder out before blending).
- BE CAREFUL WHEN BLENDING!!! Blending hot ingredients may cause the soup to splatter out of the blender!!! Blend on slowest speed first then increase. Blend all the ingredients. Depending on how thick you like it you might need to add more water. Same goes for salt and pepper. Try the soup before serving. It doesn't need any cream to make it creamy. It's hearty and creamy without any dairy..
- On a last note I don't like to waste anything. Meaning those seeds that came from the squash are quite yummy. You can use them in the soup. Roast them at 300°F until they get a little color or you can start to smell them while roasting..
Bonus: the veg is packed with Vitamin A and fiber, so you'll actually feel full after a bowl of one of these soups. Butternut squash soup is a classic fall and winter soup recipe. But today we're roasting the butternut squash, which gives so much more depth of flavor and makes the soup easier to prepare (as you. A soul-warming, flavorful soup that's perfect for fall and winter. Warm up with our butternut squash soup ideas, perfect for autumn and winter.