Caldo de pollo ( carribean style chicken soup/stew).
You can cook Caldo de pollo ( carribean style chicken soup/stew) using 15 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Caldo de pollo ( carribean style chicken soup/stew)
- It’s 1 medium of fryer chicken(whole).
- It’s 6 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 medium of chayote squash.
- You need 4 large of carrots.
- It’s 1 large of green plantain.
- You need 2 large of white potatoes.
- Prepare 1 large of yuka.
- It’s 3 small of roma tomatoes.
- It’s 2 medium of zucchini squash.
- Prepare 1 large of sweet vidalia onion.
- Prepare 2 of ears of fresh corn.
- Prepare 1 bunch of fresh cilantro or culantro.
- It’s 1 dash of salt to taste.
- It’s 1 dash of pepper to taste.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of chicken bouillon ( prefer knorr ).
Caldo de pollo ( carribean style chicken soup/stew) instructions
- Prep chicken by cutting into quarters and applying salt/pepper. Set aside..
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large soup/stock pot..
- Quarter the onion and add to the oil to sweat, once onion has become transparent add chicken to pot and brown on all sides..
- Once chicken is browned add enough water to cover the chicken by about a inch, add chicken bouillon and a pinch of salt. Stir well and bring to a boil..
- After 5 minutes of boiling reduce heat to a simmer and cover to cook. 30 minutes or untill EXTREMELY tender..
- While chicken is cooking prep the veggies for the soup..
- Peel yuka and slice in one inch rounds, set aside in large bowl..
- Clean corn and slice cob to 2 inch thick pieces, add to bowl with yuka..
- Peel chayote cut in half and remove pitt with a spoon, cut into medium / large chunks. Add to bowl..
- Clean potatoes well and cut into large chunks. ( quarter for small potatoes) add to bowl..
- Clean zucchini squash and slice into 1 inch rounds, place in bowl..
- Peel carrots and slice into 2 inch rounds. Place in bowl..
- Clean tomatoes, quarter tomatoes and place in bowl..
- Peel GREEN plantain slice into one inch rounds. NOTE: MUST BE GREEN HARD PLANTAINS NOT YELLOW..
- Chop cilantro including stems reserve half for garnish..
- Add all veggies and cilantro except for the zuchinni squash to the pot..
- Add enough water just to cover the veggies. Add more salt/ bouillon to taste. Cover tightly and cook on medium high heat for about 15-20 minutes untill potatoes and carrots are tender..
- Add zuchinni for the last 10 minutes..
- Serve this amazing stew with fresh chopped onion,cilantro, and lime wedges for garnish..
- Go one step further and serve with fresh corn tortillas!.
- Enjoy! Hope you love it as much as I do!.