Escabeche (onion soup – Belizean style). Here is my favourite recipe so far for escabeche. At first, I did not even wanted to try it as I thought the soup have an onion smell, but believe it or not, no. You need to precook the onion to remove the strong smell.
Wash your chicken in water and lime juice, and trim off any fat and chicken slime. Escabeche is a soup eaten on Sundays and other special occasions in Belize. It's hot and spicy and typically eaten with corn tortillas. You can cook Escabeche (onion soup – Belizean style) using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Escabeche (onion soup – Belizean style)
- It’s 1 of chicken.
- It’s 6 of oregano leaves (dried).
- It’s 6 of spice seeds.
- You need 1 of vinegar.
- It’s 1 of salt.
- You need 1 of black pepper.
- You need 1 of consumo de pollo.
- You need 2 of bay leaves (dried).
- Prepare 3 lb of onion.
- It’s 1 of habanero pepper or jalapeño peppers.
Belizean Escabeche (from Flavors of Belize restaurant in Los Angeles) An incredibly flavorful soup, with a similar acidic/vinegar base like traditional Escabeche, but this is a version found mainly in Belize. Delicately spiced, tangy escabeche, a preparation typical of the Yucatan, makes a vibrant marinade and sauce for stewed chicken. The grapefruit, orange, and lime juices called for in this recipe approximate the flavor of the Yucatan's sour oranges, which are difficult to get here. The most common recipes you'll find involve pickling jalapenos in an acidic mixture like apple cider vinegar The wonderful thing about Escabeche is that it is so versatile.
Escabeche (onion soup – Belizean style) step by step
- Clean chicken with water and vinegar..
- Cut chicken into pieces then set in a pot..
- Add water into the pot until the chicken is covered..
- Add a little bit of salt, the bay leaves, oregano leaves, spice seeds and consumo de pollo. Leave pot open on fire..
- When boiling starts, cover the pot for 25 – 30 mins..
- Cut onion and set aside..
- When chicken is cooked, take out and deep fry or pan fry..
- After the waited 30 mins, put onion in the soup and leave pot open..
- When soup comes to a boil. Off fire and put lid on..
- Add salt, vinegar and peppers to taste. (If using habanero pepper, do not break the pepper)..
- Enjoy. Can be garnished with black pepper..
- Best with hot corn torillas. :).
It's really only limited by your own creativity. And it's a great way to store veggies when they're in season. Escabeche (es-kah-BECH-ay) is a classic Spanish recipe in which you sear meat or fish then marinate it in a vinegary sauce loaded with herbs and spices and serve it cold or at room temperature on a hot day. Fish Escabeche is a type of sweet and sour fish recipe. There are many version of Escabeche around.