Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup. This is the long version with a lot of talking. I plan on making yet another batch for a shorter version which a link will be posted here when complete. This is a simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for pureed split pea and lentil soup, made with split peas, brown or green lentils, carrots, celery, and herbs.
Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water. You can have Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- You need of dried split peas.
- It’s of green lentils.
- It’s of yellow lentils.
- Prepare of barley.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- You need of onions.
- It’s of garlic.
- You need of carrots.
- You need of salt and pepper to taste.
Hearty vegan split pea soup chock full of nutritious ingredients for a comforting but healthy dinner. The slightly smokey flavor is mouth watering! As a kid, my only experience with split pea soup was the canned stuff. Let's not talk about it anymore.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup instructions
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
Split pea soup is always welcome soup in my home! Growing up I ate it often, usually from a can, but gladly today I enjoy preparing my meals from This hearty soup recipe is easy to put together, delicious and hearty enough to fill you up. It's adapted from Robin Robertson's book entitled, 'Fresh. This delicious, vegan split pea soup with carrots and potatoes is the definition of comfort food and can be made quickly in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot. If your days are as busy and rushed as mine have been lately, perhaps you won't mind if I give barely any introduction to one of my favorite split.